Thursday 22 May 2014

HAWAII and my NEW BOOK!

As many of you know, the last few months have been a whirlwind for my wife and I, as our two-year trip around the world finally ended *sob* *gasp* *sob* But it's really nothing to cry about, because we made the decision to settle down in Hawaii! Four years ago, when I first started seriously writing, the thought of being a fulltime writer and moving to Hawaii would've sounded impossible, but now, because of the support of my INCREDIBLE readers, a couple of my dreams have come true. My beautiful wife (and editor), Adele, has also always wanted to live in Hawaii, so it's been an amazing experience for her, too. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

So what have I been up to? Well, at first it was mostly mundane stuff like getting a Hawaii driver's license and finding a place to stay, but lately we've really been able to take advantage of the laid back Hawaii lifestyle. We try to hit the beach as often as possible, here is the first selfie I took from Waikiki, where we swim and read and enjoy the beautiful weather here.
Photo: As some of you already know, our two year trip around the world has finally one to a close and Adele and I have decided to settle in Hawaii :) We've been super busy getting settled but we finally made it to the beach, where we hope to spend plenty of time! With any luck, this is where I'll find inspiration for my next book!

We've also both settled into a good routine. We work in the morning, enjoy the day in the afternoon, usually go do some exercise before dinner. The pic below is from the outdoor gym I use to do pull-ups, push-ups and dips, that sort of thing. I swear the rainbow isn't photo-shopped, they're everywhere!
Photo: A beautiful rainbow just popped up where I work out in Hawaii! Love this place!

I've also had some time to sign books, and I'm in the process of donating some to the Hawaiian library system. For those who have been asking about when signed books will be available again, it will be later this summer, perhaps July or August! Finally, I was lucky enough to be able to participate in an incredible charity event (Saint Baldrick's Foundation) to raise money for children's cancer. Here's me getting my head shaved as part of the event!

Although I haven't yet published a book in 2014, it won't be long now! The ebook of my 15th novel and the 1st of 2014 will be out on June 16th on Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords, with iBooks, Kobo and everywhere else following shortly after. The paperback will be available on Amazon.com on June 16th too. The book is called SLIP and is a YA dystopian novel that focuses on population control. Here's the synopsis:

Someone must die before another can be born...

As sea levels rise and livable landmasses shrink, the Reorganized United States of America has instituted population control measures to ensure there are sufficient resources and food to sustain the growing population. Birth authorization must be paid for and obtained prior to having a child. Someone must die before another can be born, keeping the country in a population neutral position at what experts consider to be the optimal population. The new laws are enforced by a ruthless government organization known as Pop Con, responsible for terminating any children resulting from unauthorized births, and any illegals who manage to survive past their second birthday, at which point they are designated a national security threat and given the name Slip.

But what if one child slipped through the cracks? What if someone knew all the loopholes and how to exploit them? Would it change anything? Would the delicate resource balance be thrown into a tailspin, threatening the lives of everyone?

And how far would the government go to find and terminate the Slip?

In a gripping story of a family torn apart by a single choice, Slip is a reminder of the sanctity of a single life and the value of the lives we so often take for granted.

ADD SLIP to your Goodreads Want-To-Read list by clicking HERE
My agent and I are also currently seeking a publisher for another of my novels, a YA post-apocalyptic fantasy called Brew. You can check it out HERE.
So I've got a ton more awesome stuff planned for the rest of 2014! I hope you all enjoy what I come up with, and once again, thanks for all your support and word-of-mouth advertising, I couldn't do what I LOVE without each and every one of you behind me!


12 comments:

  1. 2014 is looking wonderful so far!! I predict it only to get better from here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO MUCH for saying that Jenny, I truly believe that! And with awesome people like you supporting me, we can make it happen :)

      Delete
    2. Darn tootin we'll make it happen! :)

      Delete
    3. Jenny is prophetic this year so I would listen to her!! ;)

      Delete
  2. Amazing journey you and Adele are on! Looking forward to reading SLIP and looking forward to the day when you have a publisher. Anyone who would pass you up is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, thank you, Marni! That means a lot coming from you! Hopefully we'll find a sane publisher then ;) And I hope you enjoy Slip!

      Delete
  3. Fingers crossed for you and Brew(which sounds FANTASTIC!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! I really appreciate the crossed fingers, I need all the luck I can get! But thanks for saying that about Brew, hopefully the publisher agree :)

      Delete
  4. HOLY GOOBER BEANS...that synopsis sounds fantastic Mr. David! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks, my friend, I hope you enjoy the read!

      Delete
  5. Just finished Slip and it was incredible!!! My favorite of all your books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Amazing! Thank you so much, I'm SO GLAD :)

      Delete